Friday, July 31, 2009

Jobs for an average computer science major?

I recently graduated from college with a degree in computer science. My GPA was a horrible 2.7. I've always been a smart student but I picked the wrong major and went to a wrong college. I didn't know much about computer but I was interested in it. I thought I would learn a great deal in college but seriously the main professor for computer in my college didn't know anything about programming languages at all. Plus I messed up really bad in my third year in college (drinking,smoking) . I really regret not achieving my goals in college and not fulfilling my potential. Now I'm done and I have absolutely no confidence in my ability to find a job. I took VB, C++, and java along with networking, data analysis, MS Access and few other things. But I didn't learn much from that professor who didn't know much himself. Is it still possible for me it find a job? If so, then how? I have straightened myself out since last year and I am a bright student. Help me.

Jobs for an average computer science major?
Most employers don't look at the GPA. You should only put it on your resume if it's over 3.5 anyway. You could start out in tech support and work your way up. They kind of expect beginner tech support people to be clueless. Try and get some certifications like A+ and MCSE. Or, if you're really not interested in computers after all, you could move into a different profession and still have the degree behind you.


No comments:

Post a Comment