Saturday, May 22, 2010

I want to live in the D.C. Area, this coming summer, I am about to graduate College, how do I do this?

Its really possible that my salary will not be the best but I want to know what areas could I possibly rent an apartment at a good price. I'm from Oklahoma and I've visited D.C. once before, so I pretty much know what I'm getting into. My plan is to move to D.C., get a place, get a job and a few months afterwards look into grad schools.

I want to live in the D.C. Area, this coming summer, I am about to graduate College, how do I do this?
I'm guessing comfort_eagle hasn't visited in a while if he thinks there's nothing but ghetto in DC. (The inch of snow thing, unfortunately, remains a constant.) However, rental costs do tend to be inversely proportional to safety and/or convenience. If you're planning on applying to grad school anyway, you might just want to wait and save up until you have to move. Roommate risks aside, I'd also encourage you to think in terms of group housing and/or basement apartments; Craigslist is your best bet for finding those. If you must look for a place on your own, you'll probably want to concentrate on the outer edges of the Metro - though it would help to know where you're going to work first to minimize transportation issues.
Reply:You sure you know what you're getting yourself into? You're aware DC shuts down when it gets like an inch of snow, right? And most of the city is hardscrabble ghetto? I can't understand why anyone actually moves there... but if you like it that much, more power to you and good luck.





As for how you do it, you prepare to spend a boatload of money for a place (expensive housing market) or you get on Craigslist and hope you don't get a roommate who's psychotic. As for jobs, start looking online. The economy's about to go downhill, so the sooner you can go through this process the better. DC has no good public universities, so prepare to take out a ton of loans for grad school.

hyacinth

No comments:

Post a Comment